In a past season I wrote a handful of these ABC entries and I moved them over to My Whirlwind Life. So if the story itself seems dated in some way… that’s because I wrote it a few years ago.
Verb 1. to be able to; 2. have the ability, power, or skill to
It may not seem like it on the outside, but on the inside I too often tell myself “I Can’t” – usually in areas where it involves my inner glutinous overweight sinful lazy self not wanting to do the things my head knows I should do… I tell myself I can’t loose all the weight, I can’t eat strictly paleo, I can’t exercise now, I can’t go for a walk it’s too cold/hot, I can’t stop watching this show mid season, I can’t read my bible right now, I can’t, I can’t, I can’t.
If I made a real – honest with myself – list it would be embarrassing how often I make excuses and say I can’t do something. Or the opposite like saying “this can’t be that bad” like one trip to sidecar can’t make that negative of an impact or buying just this one thing can’t mess up my budget that bad.
The core issue is a lack of self control. I need to get these things under control. Things aren’t going to happen on their own and especially aren’t going to happen if I’m burning the candle at the other end.
It’s a little early for New Years resolutions, but I fear a December mentality (I’ll just indulge/I’m going in a diet starting New Years) setting in if I don’t at least document some things that I CAN do.
I have the ability, power and skill to do each of these:
- I CAN go a week without a Cheat meal- I should be able to go a few weeks without one- but baby steps are ok!
- I CAN fit in a walk with the stroller at least a few (3) times a week
- I CAN go straight to sleep without being on my phone
- I CAN use my elliptical a few(3-4)times during the week
- I CAN read my bible even if my window of time only looks like a few minutes, God will multiply the time
- I CAN stop wasting my time watching a worldly show, it doesn’t matter what happens next in the show
- I CAN spend less money
- I CAN limit myself to just 1 Doughnut at sidecar (this will be heartbreakingly hard)
- I CAN pick up the house cheerfully
- I CAN get the laundry put away the same day I wash it
I want to work on self control – after all it is a fruit of the spirit! It is satan luring me to be lazy, and to that I say “I can’t!”
I CAN have self control- I just have to make the choice to. Lord help me in this area I plead.